Lexicoblog

The occasional ramblings of a freelance lexicographer

Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Favourite words

A couple of days ago, I came across voluminous as an answer to a crossword clue. I was on my own at the time, but couldn't resist saying it out loud, just to enjoy rolling the sounds around my mouth! I think some of my favourite words are the ones that sound good.

I have a feeling that I've written in a previous post about the joy of getting allocated the "squ..." section to work on in a dictionary - it's just so full of wonderfully evocative words. There are the soft, soggy ones - squash, squeeze, squelch, squidgy, squirt, squishy - and the grating, high-pitched ones - squawk, squeak, squeal.

Forget the meaning, for me, it's all about the feel!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home