Lexicoblog

The occasional ramblings of a freelance lexicographer

Thursday, January 20, 2011

"Pano chocolate"

I always feel a slight moment of dilemma when faced with buying one of my favourite pastries. It's one thing asking for a "pain au chocolat" - pronounced with a subtle French accent - when you're in a fancy deli, but it always sounds a bit poncy when you're in a caff at a train station! I occasionally try asking for a "chocolate croissant" instead (pronouncing the t at the end of both words!), but that sometimes just leads to confusion - especially with a non-native English speaking assistant who only knows what it says on the labels.

So it made me smile this morning when I went into a cafe round the corner (neither a posh deli nor a greasy caff) and noticed on the board "pano chocolate" - an amusing error or an intentional compromise? I'd like to think the latter.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home