Lexicoblog

The occasional ramblings of a freelance lexicographer

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

First steps in the world of webinars

This week I'm taking my first steps into the world of webinars - on Thursday I'm giving my first webinar for OUP Global about Approaches to teaching EAP - connected with my latest project as part of the team working on the new Oxford EAP series. It's been in the pipeline for some time, but what with IATEFL last week, I've only just had the time, and the head space, to sit down and get myself prepared in earnest. In most ways so far, it feels like preparing for any other presentation - I made a load of notes, then converted them into PowerPoint slides, talking my way through them as I went. By lunchtime today, I'd got a good idea where I was going and was ready for a post-lunch run-through to check the timing. As the weather's so gloriously sunny, I just couldn't face more time at my desk, so I took my laptop out onto the roof terrace instead - here's the view from my webcam:

Okay, probably not the best location for the actual webinar - not least because passers-by would think I was completely mad sitting up on the roof apparently talking away to myself - but you've got to make the most of the sunshine when you can, haven't you?! Note to self - don't frown at the screen!

I think it's going to be a bit odd sitting down and talking to a screen, but I'm hoping I'll get at least a little bit of feedback from my audience to reassure me they're there. I'm not going for anything too fancy for my first attempt, so fingers crossed the technology will all be fine - and I'll have a friendly moderator on hand to deal with any problems that do crop up.

If you'd like to tune in, it's completely free and open to anyone, you've just got to sign up here. I'll be doing the whole thing twice; once from 10.00-11.00 BST and again 16.00-17.00. As I said, the title of the talk is Approaches to EAP and it's really going to be a general overview of some of the key differences in approach between general ELT and EAP - there's an intro on the OUP Global blog.

I'll report back later in the week on how it goes ...

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home